It`s going to be April soon and in 20+ days time, it`s going to be SYF 2006 again. If you all folks have no idea what the hell is SYF, well it stands for Singapore Youth Festival. As a youth once myself, I always anticapte for the SYF festivsal. Oh man how much I miss those days, especially during those Marching Band Days. Toiling under the hot sun with sweat and grease. Doing `hentak kaki` under the rain with thunder zapping above us hopefull no one got strike by lighting. And the field urghh.. disgusting with all the mud and puddle bleah. But otherwise its fun. A good way to slim down too lol. I wish I could relive those days again with my friends, sweating on the field together.
Year 2006 is an even year so there is going to be a Display Band Competition. For better understanding, every odd year like 2001,2003,2005 etc its going to be an Indoor Band Competition, where all Concert/Symphonic bands compete in the prestigious event to display their musical skills. Whereas during even years 2000,2002,2004,2006 etc; its going to be Outdoor Band Competition, where Military/Marching bands compete in the Kallang Stadium displaying their marchings drills/music and aesthetic display. The last time I took part in the event was in the Year 2000, our band did horribly but we had fun of cos making a fool of ourselves on the field. So after I left school,I make an effort on every even year to go to the stadium under the hot sun and watch this competition. It's really gives me that edge or adrenaline rush to see all the crowds cheering for their school band. A very proud moment for all participants.
I wonder which band would take part for this year`s event. There are not many bands who like to take part in Outdoor Competition cos its really a huge task coordinating all the members. I`m sure bands like Tanjong Katong Secondary School, Bowen Secondary School and Deyi Secondary School would be the top 3 bands. Bukit Panjang Goverment High is really a flop ever since 2004 but maybe they would improve this year. Pingyi-Springfield Secondary School I have no comments but I`m sure they are going to play James Bond. Yusoff Ishak and Westpring Secondary School will for sure try their best to do ala Drum Corps style. I think Singapore bands have really no skills doing ala Drum Corps style. The best Drum Corps usually comes from Japan or America like The Caveliers,Santa Clarva Vanguard, Soka Gakkai or Yokohama Kilties..
So anyway these are the pictures taken during 2004 Outdoor Competition. Should watch the video itself cos its funky..In order of appearance..
Deyi Secondary School with their drumline infront. Their uniform look almost the same as Tanjong Katong Band. Infact their marching drills are about the same. They did `hentak kaki` or march on the spot with their knees band inwards exactly like Tankong Katong but after which they did `hentak kaki` tiptoeing. Doing march on the spot tiptoeing helps to control the upper body to maintain its posture and restricts the movement between the player and the instrument. Marching while tiptoeing is common in Japan and some schools in Malaysia or Indonesia. I`ve great interest with this school simply because they have great gimmicks, they always have surprises up their sleeves. They really could do better if they concentrate more on their Drum Corps style movement rather than the traditional march. They won Gold for 2004

Bukit Panjang Goverment High. This band once boast of having full force 180 members including the Drill Guards but now it has a member of 100 - 120. It used to be a combine school with Teck Whye Secondary but now they are alone. The band has strong full force sound. Very LOUD indeed. The notes tend to crack sometimes so it sounds distorted especially when the band moves. The Drum Majors throughout the years has splendid Mace skills like a Wushu Master. Their display theme usually evolves with nature like Flowers, Fishes, Insects and whatever nonsense.. Abit boring after a few formations, need more gimmicks. This band won Silver for 2004. Not surprise at all.

Pingyi-Springfield Secondary School Band is famous for the uniform and James Bond. Their uniform really represents Singapore flag. They got into top 4 bands in 2004 which is surprising of cos. Their opening theme is always James Bond medley and they will form into a square shape,rotates and the band will disperse from there onwards. They could really improve with their uniform. I really don`t like the uniform at all. Their formations are abit distorted. The diamond formation would always appear crooked. Their star look funny too.. They won Gold in 2004, very surprising.

Westspring Secondary School. A new comer in the competition. Very small band less than 80 members i think. They are trying with their Drum Corps style. Apparently I heard they have an instructor from Thailand who is supposedly good with Drum Corps. Bleah he sucks I can tell. The band has the most dumbest Drill Guards. They keep dropping the flags and don't know how to twirl, their flags look fugly too. They perform a piece which is rather difficult for the band. No head no tail. Simply play and blast throughout. Bad composition or rather bad conductor. Hopefull they do better with more members. They won Silver. They should have only Certificate of Participation. Bleah

Tanjong Katong Secondary School. Best in Singapore and some say Italy. This band has superb marching drills and have total control of their music despite not having great dynamics. Their formations are always in line like as if there is a gridline on the field itself. They got Gold for both Indoor and Outdoor Competition which is really hands down. Their marching tecnique is somewhat amazing that many bands are followin them especially Deyi Secondary School. Hopefully they lose in 2006 ( Sorry Zeyu and other TKians/TKnites) The probability for them to lose is low infact very low indeed. They've never lose for like what? 10 -16 years? I donno. So seeing them lose makes a whole lot of sense to see that they do indeed have a weakness. I do really want to see other band be the Champion like Deyi Secondary School. They won Gold for 2004 and also the overall champion for 2004.

Yusoff Ishak Secondary School. They have the same conductor as Westspring Secondary. Again same technique as Westsprint. Horrendous. Dumb Drill Guads, they keep on dropping the rifle and flags. I hardly hear anything from this band except from their Tubas and Percussion section. Hope they come up something better for 2006. Their uniform looks so classic. Horrible. If only their uniform is from Versace or Hugo Boss. Bleah. They won Silver for 2004

Bowen Secondary School. Famous for their Dancers with Gold Wings. I`m sure its very tiring to flap those wings, my arm could fall off anytime if i was one of them. Their marching drills are old traditional military style. They tend to play rock music which is very kinky sometimes. They wore shorts unfortunately very funny. But otherwise their marching drills are fine to me. They are almost like with Bukit Panjang Govertment High School. Ok Drill but Lousy Music Intonation.They won Gold for 2004. 

I wish more school would join in the competition. Its funny that for Indoor competition there would be hundred schools participating but for Outdoor there is only 7 schools participating. Once there were great Marching Bands from Raffles Institution, Victoria Secondary, Cedar Girls and so on but now they are long gone.. Hmmm.
`SQUAD! .SEEEEDIAAA!!!. DARI KIRI CEPAT JALAN!!!` *snare drum on que in the background*
Saturday, April 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment