SPBAND Concert Musical Delights 30
I went for Singapore Polytechnic Symphonic Band Musical Delights 30 yesterday with Derek. That bugger came 15 minutes before the concert starts and I was already hyperventilating afraid that we won’t make it in time. I’ve NEVER been late for concerts before cause if I’m late I would miss the first song and the ushers would only let us in before the second song. Waiting for him at Raffles Place Mrt Station makes me claustrophobic somehow. That place is always busy during weekdays but gravelly empty on weekends.
The concert went well, maybe a few hiccups here and there as usual. I’m really impressed with this trombone player, Jenny, who seems to have huge lungs. I’ve hardly met any girl who could play solo which is audible because usually girls are a bit ‘tender’ and ‘soft’ I would say. Well the only girls that I know who play solo and audible at the same time are either from a Japanese school or from a marching band. Then there is chap who is a bassoonist from Singapore National Youth Orchestra. Great guy too, though I keep on telling Derek, that this bugger seem to have constipation of some sort. It’s funny how this guy stand with a limp even though he is not limp. There are few songs which I’m disappointed somehow especially Hobbits from Lord of the Rings, it went too fast, I wish it was slower. Fantasy variations is great too, though there are hiccups here and there but I like lower woodwinds a lot if only there is a Contra-Bassoon, it would make the whole family complete. The Contra-Alto clarinet player, Alicia, she’s great I would say, it’s tough to play that but she did it. There is another song played by the Alumni Band, a Japanese Bossa Nova but I forgot the title. Funky song
This is a last performance for some of them as they would be graduating soon. I know some of them are going to miss the band and the friendships they’ve made. I’ve experienced the same thing few years back, I miss the band and the friendships that I’ve made too. The concert somehow officially marks that a student is graduating and leaving the school soon. Something like a farewell concert. I didn’t feel the same when my school department held a farewell party for us because it wasn’t grand perhaps and there is no ‘tradition’ of some sort. So the sentimental value wasn’t there. Thus during encore, the band played a familiar tune unlike previous years where they played something loud, horse galloping tempo. They played a popular Chinese tune - ‘The Moon Represents My Heart’. Very kinky song I would say cause its so Cheena. As the band played on the graduating members are called upon and they went off the stage. I don’t know why but it seems very solemn. But anyway after the concert lots of hugging, kissing, cam whoring. Derek and I didn’t intend to join them for dinner because he is going back to army camp and I’m just too tired for anything. We’ll have another gathering I guess soon after their exams.
From left: Derek, James, Chingsi, Jiaming and Me... some people are missing
Zeyu and me. He has to rush off for his Philharmonic Winds practice rite after concert.... I owe this fella a trip to Pyongyang. You know what dude, let's wait till you finish your army then we'll go Pyongyang and find your friend.
We love this position, we always took sectional photos every year at the infamous stairs. Wait i look for the old pic.
Yup thats us 2 years back, can't find us 3 years back and the previous year.
A complete Euphonium Section
From Left Bottom : Derek, Brandon, James, Peiyan, Chingsi and Me (members on this row are either alumni or would be graduating in 2 months time)
From Right Top : Zhi Zhang, Weijie, Zhengyang, Jiaming and Christabel (members in this entire row will be next generation of Euphonium players for the year 2007 and beyond)
Candid shot of us...
All's Well That Ends Well.... cheers


No comments:
Post a Comment