Dress to Kill...
I have not bought any new clothes for the past 3 months. As much as I like clothes, I’ve never had any indulgence to splurge on it. Usually I would only shop twice or at most 4 times a year to get my clothes. Usually I would purchase few items at one go to save the trouble of going shopping. I detest shopping. What I would do usually is to window shop for the items that I want to get. This takes about a day or sometimes a week. Once I’ve seen what I liked, I would note down the name of the shop, location, things that I should get in that shop in my mobile phone. When the day arrives, I would immediately go these places, make my purchase and go home. I don’t hang out or whatsoever, the most I would kill my time at the bookshops. I do both of my window shopping and real shopping alone. I don’t like to be accompany cause it’s a hassle. I take a lot of time to see what I like and try them and I don’t like my companion to get bored or to give crude remarks.
As far as I know about fashion and color coordination, I’m still bad with good cuttings to fit my body figure. Sometimes I admire what the other person is wearing but when I look and try for the same outfit, it doesn’t look good on me especially office attires. I hate formal office attires, those long sleeve shirt and smart pants, wearing it seems to be suffocating. But right now I’ve made an effort to give it a second chance but I will still avoid it at all cost. I like casual wear. It’s simple, idiot proof even the blind could pick and wear anything and they still look just fine. I don’t really like to waste time thinking what to wear. I know guys at my age should dress to impress but for me, I think it’s a hassle. I just wear whatever is in the wardrobe as long I’m not going out naked.
There are few people who loves fashion so much that they always update their wardrobe every season or every few months. They looked at fashion magazines for the latest trends, what is in and what is out. Some people do really good with the latest fashion whereas some do not. It’s a matter of making the right pick for yourself. Remember Bjork and her swan dress? I thought it was magnificent and remarkable sense of dressing cause it suits her somehow but then there were others who wore the same dress to ridicule her, which is bad public statement to me. It applies the same to most of us. My ex-colleague, she is a fashionista well sort of. She would look through all the magazines for the latest trends and she is not afraid to try them out. She wouldn’t mind licking the wall if she is hungry as long she could spend her money on the latest trends. Sometimes I really ponder on her dressing. I mean to me if you spend a lot on something, it should and MUST look good on you but it’s not the case for her. Sometimes the dress she bought look like curtains which my mother made for the living room, her cardigans though it’s branded it seems like as if its 3 times smaller than her actual size and its only covering from her shoulder to somewhere below her bosom. We all know cardigans is something which keeps you warm and it supposed to cover your body but her cardigan seem to keep her shoulder and bosom warm not anything below than that. I wouldn’t mind if you want to be different but if your difference would ridicule yourself and be the butt jokes of everyone, I think you have reevaluate your fashion statement? To me it’s not how much you spent on your clothes but rather how you pick your clothes. I admit that I’m such a bad dresser therefore I always play safe and pick clothes which wouldn’t make me stand out. I do not like attention but I do believe that we all are walking advertisements. What we wear and how we behave in general, promotes ourselves to others. People may not like what you wear but they may like your personality or people may hate your personality but they would remember your dressing. They would think “Oh yeah that chap, I remember him, I like the way he dress but too bad he got a potty mouth”

Another thing I want to mention is shoes. I like shoes but I don’t like collecting them unlike some of my friends who have over 50 pair of shoes. I have a modest 6 pair of shoes. 1 black leather shoe from Kenneth Cole, 2 Adidas snickers, 1 Adidas X-trainer cum trekking shoe (I got a vision that I would be a marathon runner thus I bought the shoe but alas I gave up after 3 months), 2 jogging shoes from New Balance. I make sure that I really worn out my shoes before I buy a new pair cause it’s a waste if I keep on buying new ones and only wear them like once or twice. Besides I do not like my room to be stinking reek from my shoes. You know what is the funny thing? Whenever I bought a new shoe, I make sure that I get the shoe dirty before I put it on. I would deliberately step on my shoe or grind it with dirt to make sure the shoe looked like it's worn for quite sometime. I don't like people to notice I'm wearing a new shoe. It makes me look like a noob or something. I don't like people to go "Hey you got a new shoe". Even though it's a minor remark it could make me foamed at my mouth. It goes the same for my shirts and pants. I make sure I gave them a wash before I wear them. 1st wash is to make sure all the dust and remaining dye color is removed. 2nd wash to make sure it shrink or expand to its approriate size. It’s a amazing though that ladies always have a large number of shoe collection. On average at least 10 pairs or more. To me anything beyond 6 pairs is a lot. I remember I had this pair of black Adidas snickers which I’ve worn for 4 years, it was in a good condition till I brought it over to Dubai. The soles were in still in a very good condition but the sides were torn one day and I had to throw it. By the way I like Adidas shoes cause it’s affordable and comfortable to wear.
Seriously it’s ridiculous for a lady to wear a high cut boot in hot humid Singapore. Even if they wear it for clubbing it looks clumsy somehow. We hot blooded Singaporeans simply got to have that wake up call. Most of these boots sell in stores are meant for winter wear not for hot tropical condition. Of cause if you are really good with sense dressing, you can even make Phua Chu Kang boots look like a fashion must have. It really falls on individual.
You know some people do really over dress. Now I know what it meant by Dress to Kill…


No comments:
Post a Comment