Sunday, July 15, 2007

SIA Cabin Crew Interview...

I did something which nobody thought I would do. Even I myself never thought of doing it ever before. You want to know what I did? I actually applied and went for an interview for Singapore Airlines cabin crew today.

Yeah yeah I know, it’s unbelievable. But you got to believe it.

It happened about a week ago when my sister bug me to go for the interview which would take place at Sheraton Hotel on Sunday. I thought it’s nuts. I mean I’ve never wanted or dreamt to be a cabin crew let alone applying for it. She keep on pestering and psycho-ing about the benefits of becoming cabin crew. Well yeah right. She is always complaining about her flights whenever she finishes her flight duty and here she is preaching me about the benefits? Crap…

So without me knowing. She fill up the application forms for me and even took my certificates and exams results to be printed. On Saturday night, the day before the interview, she bug me again to go for it and tell me just go for it or just do it for fun. So ok fine, I’ll go as long she just shut her trap. I told some of my friends about it and they said that I should just go. I wasn’t even confident about doing it. I mean usually SIA cabin crew interviews requires people who are good looking and intellectual and I have none of that or at least abit of it. The interview is from 9am to 1pm. Now to wake up at 9am on Sundays is a no-no for me. Infact it’s a sin in Nasir’s world. But what the heck…

So on Sunday morning, I was sleeping on the bed when I got slapped on the cheek from my sister to wake up. The clock shows 6am and the interview is at 9am. I told her to fuck off and let me sleep for another hour. When I was about to doze off, I got another slap. PIAK!!!! I told her I really don’t want to embarrass myself, I don’t even have the looks nor the guts to go for it. Worst, I have to wear a formal business wear for the interview. You know the only time I wear such things is only during funeral and graduation. My life if not filthy rich enough to let me such attire everyday. And she said. “Ok fine, if you don’t feel confident why don’t you wear casual but bring along your business attire. Then when you go to the Hotel, look around at the candidates, if you’re confident, change into your formal attire”. So I showered and change to formal wear, I packed my jeans and tshirts in my bags cos I don’t want to be caught wearing such formal things in Orchard Road after the interview. I really detest wearing such attire like corporate pigs.

We hailed a cab. The driver was somewhat cocky. I told him we are heading to Sheraton Towers Hotel at Scotts Road near Newton MRT station. He insists that the road which leads to the hotel is not called Scotts Road but rather Newton Circus Road. I thought I was wrong cause for sure the area is called Newton but the road is still called Scotts Road. So I beg to differ and the driver kinda feel agitated. He gave me that respond somewhat like who-the fuck-you-are-to-tell-me-that-I’m-wrong-cos-I’m-the-best-taxi-driver-in-Singapore-north-east-south-west-I’m-the-best. Well he actually really said ,”Sure or not, I think you’re wrong lah…how can, I always drive there one leh”. So I asked him to give me the Singapore directory book and made a bet with him. If I’m right, the taxi ride would be free of charge and if I’m wrong I will pay him double the fare and he agreed. Well I made the bet cause I was very confident about it. So I flip through the directory and found the location of the road and it’s indeed along Scott’s Road. The driver was kinda unhappy about it cause this means this ride would be free of charge. So anyway when we reached the hotel, the taxi metre shows $8.80. It’s supposed to be a free ride since I won the bet but when I gave a second thought, I should just pay up no matter what. The taxi driver still needs to earn a living right. So yeah I paid him $10 and told him to keep the change.

When we reached the hotel, we saw the queue. It was damn freaking long. The queue went from the Ballroom on the second floor, down to the first floor and then up again to the back of the ballroom. It was frigging long. You know what is surprising? Initially I said that to be a cabin crew, you need to be good looking right? Wrong. From what I saw during this interview, there were various people going for the interview. I can see people who are tall, giant, short, dwarf, skinny, anorexic, fat, obese, obese-heart attack case, beautiful, beautiful-like-a-slut, ugly, fugly, fugly-until-I-don’t-know-what-to-say, old, young and even balding guys. So I thought oh well, I should just queue since these people has the confidence, so must I. My sister was chaperoning me at one moment and the next minute she was gone. Then I got a called from her that she is already in Orchard Road with her boyfriend. What a slut!!! Now I’m all left alone like an idiot. She says “Nasir be confident, can make it one, if not you just show your tits haha.. Good luck lah”.

Though the queue was frigging long, it actually moved quite fast. I was in the queue for about 30 minutes though I was expecting it to be 1hour or more. The queue was divided into two lanes, one for ladies and the other for the guys. I was surprised that there are more guys than the girls. I mean usually girls are the one who usually apply for cabin crews as the demand for males is somewhat low but yeah I was surprised actually. Maybe these guys are forced by their sisters, friends or girlfriends to go for the interview just like me. The girls, some of them look really gorgeous whereas some I think queued for the wrong job, I think they actually wanted to queue for Geylang Whore Services. Whereas the guys some are macho-mary (muscular guys who have limp wrist aka sissy), some are army boys, many ACS hunks look alike (Ling probably would get orgasm multiple times if she was just to queue for this event), some guys are even balding. I can’t deny that I start to feel nervous cause I saw that some of these people actually had a script of what to be said during the interview. Probably the interviewers are going to ask “Why do you want to be an SIA cabin crew?” How am I supposed to answer that? Am I supposed to say “Cause my sister forced me, she is such a bitch” or “Cause I got nothing better else to do and I heard I can sleep around with fellow crew members thus I applied for this job”

When the queue was about to reach the holding area inside the ballroom. The SIA service staffs collected our applications and gave us each a number tag. My number is 74F. In the ballroom there are many seats and we all took a sit while waiting for our turns to be interviewed. The candidates are divided into 10 groups each. So I’m in group 74 and since my alphabet is F, it means that I’m the 6th person in the group. So there is 74A, 74B….and so on. I recalled there was a total of 89 groups which means 890 applicants came for the interview. Even group numbers like 2,4...16..74..80 and so on are for male applicants whereas odd number are for the ladies. While waiting for our turns, we were shown videos about SIA cabin crew life. It was interesting, it’s a short video about 10-15 minutes. I chatted with some of the guys, one them said this is their 4th interview for SIA, another guy said this is his 3rd whereas most are first timers. You won’t believe how long we have to wait inside the ballroom. When I first took my seat, group 46 just went for the interview. So we’ve to watched the video over and over again for about 2 hours. Most of us including myself dozed off while waiting.

When it was my group’s turn, the time is already 1.30. The female applicants were brought to the the interview room adjacent to the fitting room. After the interview they were to wear the SIA Kebaya and do a catwalk of some sort. I don’t know what goes in that room but that’s what I heard from fellow applicants. Whereas the guys, we were brought to the basement where the interview was held. Waited for about 10 minutes before we were allowed to enter the interview room. There are two interviewers a lady and a guy. Everyone was asked to be seated and they brief us that we have to make a 1 minute introduction of ourselves. While introducing ourselves the interviewers will access us. Not sure how the score system works. I was really damn nervous cause I didn’t prepare anything. So when it was my turn, I stammered. I told my name, age, occupation, hobbies, qualifications. You know some of these guys in my group, they were splendid. They spoke so well, I could only gawked. Some had interesting jobs like teachers, nurse, engineers. There was one guy who said that his occupation is a nurse. The reason he wants to be a cabin crew is because he don’t like to care of sick people. I could only smile. Yes smile is important. Whatever you do just smile. But please don’t smile like an idiot.
After the interview, we were brought out of the room while waiting for the results. 5 minutes later, the interviewers announced the results. Out of 10 guys, only 2 guys made it through for the next round. One of the guys is me YAY!!! And the other guy was the nurse guy who don’t want to take care of the sick. Trust me I was really surprised cause the other guys in my group were really good, the way they present themselves and the way they dress. I’m still not sure what they are looking for, for male cabin crews. I thought I wouldn’t make it for the next round but somehow I did. Hahah…

So those who are not chosen are told to go home, whereas the chosen ones are told to remain behind for the 2nd interview which is just opposite the 1st interview room. Now I’m really really nervous that I’ve to called my sister for tips. She say 2nd round would be one to one talk where you talk about yourself, family, life, career etc; Hmm well I can definitely talk but it would be hard to relate it to a stranger. So I went into the room and there are two different interviewers a lady and a guy. I great them and took my seat and these people shoot questions at me about my career, social life, hobbies, my friends… it’s a casual talk really. It’s not difficult as I thought.
After the 2nd interview, I waited outside with few other guys. This time around few more guys were eliminated. I got through though. Which means I’m going for the 3rd interview which would be the Water Test. Hahaha Yay yay… I don’t know why I’m excited. It’s not like as if I going to get this job anyway. My sister told me 3rd interview would be the toughest. I haven’t got my dates yet for the interview but the staffs would call me when to go down for the interview.

During the 3rd interview, I believed that we have to wear swimsuit/swimming trunks, wear a life vest and jump from 1m or 2m high platform into the pool. This is to test our water endurance of some sort. So my fellow readers who stays in the same block as me. Please mind me if you hear any weird thumping noise cause I’m going to practice jumping from the bed, dining table, stools, kitchen counter just to simulate this crazy jump which I’m going to do in few weeks time. Hahaha…

After the interview, I quickly change my attire into jeans and tshirts. I feel really horrible in formal attire.

I met Weiliang after his art studio session. Met Olivia too and she wore a skirt but not the long frilly skirt hur hur… Had lunch. Met with Scott and Fadhil and we head to Botanic Gardens for the MOE-SHELL Band Fiesta.

Anyway Weiliang is looking for a model during his art studio session. Don’t have to be good looking, anyone can apply. Subject would be asked to pose in nude if possible. Applicants must be free on every Sunday from 8am to 1pm. Location at NAFA. You’re paid $25 per hour. Interested parties please contact me via MSN. Thankx

In the meantime I’m going to wear my sister’s SIA Kebaya and pretend I’m a stewardess. Eh no.. I’m a steward so I cannot wear the Kebaya. Sigh.. Nobody would notice the male cabin crew anyway cause we don’t wear Kebayas… Fuck it…

No comments: