Singapore Boccia International Open 2007
Entry contains pictures
Today I had a great day volunteering for SDSC (Singapore Disability Sports Council). Today’s event is the Singapore Boccia Invitational Open 2007. This is also my first time volunteering for the disabled body as my previous volunteering involves orphanages, mentor or for the old folks home.
Now when SIF (Singapore International Foundation) asked if I was interested to participate for this event, I didn’t give much thought about it and I immediately accept their invitation since I’m free at the moment. Singapore Boccis Invitational Open 2007 is actually involve a sports called Boccia. I’ve never heard of such sports before neither do the rest of the volunteers who are currently active in sports. So I did a research on it at Wikipedia.
From Wikipedia.
Boccia is a sport for athletes with a disability. Similar to bocce, it is designed to be played by people with cerebral palsy and other locomotor disabilities affecting motor skills. It is a Paralympic sport, played in over forty countries worldwide. Boccia is governed by the Cerebral Palsy International Sport and Recreation Association. It is a sport at the Summer Paralympic Games, first included at the New York games in 1984. It is one of three Paralympic sports that have no counterpart in the Olympic program. More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boccia
This game is almost similar to lawn bowling or pétanque. This game seems easy to play but actually its not. There are only two players for each game. To begin the game a player will throw a leader ball which is white in colour. Then the players will have to throw their individual boccia balls which is either blue or red. The objective of the game is to make the boccia balls as closed as to the leader ball. Sounds easy? Well not apparently. There are many tactics to counter the opponent, the common tactic to block the pathway so that the opponents boccia balls does not reach near to the leader ball. The boccia balls is made of of lightweight material roughly around 300 grams if I’m not wrong. Well to a non-disabled person, a ball of this size is easy to hold and throw but for the disabled sportsmen its very hard for them to even hold it properly.
Not all disabled sportsmen could play this game, well technically there are different categories of disability.
Boccia players are assigned to one of four sport classes: depending on their functional ability:
- BC1 - Players in this class throw the ball with the hand or foot. They may compete with an assistant to stabilize or adjust their playing chair and give the ball to the player when requested.
- BC2 - Players in this class throw the ball with the hand. They are not eligible for assistance.
- BC3 - Players in this class have a very severe physical disability. They may use an assistive device such as a ramp to deliver the ball. They may compete with an assistant; assistants must keep their back to the court and their eyes averted from play.
- BC4 - Players in this class have other severe physical disabilities. They are not eligible for assistance.
This is the first Boccia games held in Singapore. 4 countries took part, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Japan. The objectives of SDSC to held this competition,
- To enhance international relations and friendships for better regional co-operation and solidarity.
- To provide the disabled with opportunities to train, participate and excel in sports for local, regional and international competitions
- To increase public awareness of and promote widespread support for the sporting and recreational needs of the disabled community in Singapore
Anyway back to the events today. I supposed to report at Jurong East Sports Complex at 7.30am so I woke up at 6.00am. I thought that I could beat the traffic even if I took the bus but unfortunately I drank Duphalac the night before so I had a good time clearing my bowels in the morning. By the time I'm done with my shower, it's already 7.10. So I took a cab instead. Thank God there was a cab coming out from the carpark. The fare ride totals to $7.00 but I don't have small change so I paid using Debit card. You know some taxi drivers hate it if passengers pay using Debit or Credit card but not this driver though.
Report to the management and I was assigned to Logistics/F&B. I personally request it cause I love to pack food haha.. Don't ask me why. Ricky, who is my team leader brief me about the procedures and the schedule for the day. After which I briefed the volunteers from ITE Bishan and some students from Polytechnics. Since today is Friday, we won't expect many people around thus there is only 4 people in the Logistics/F&B, Ricky, me and two girls from ITE Bishan Shira and Nabilah. I was glad that all of could mix well. The girls were totally hilarious, typical minahs. They can really crap alot but unfortunately students from ITE Bishan would only be there for one day. Which means another set of volunteers will join on Saturday and Sunday. I would be at the event for 3 days straight and means I would probably have to repeat my briefing again but it's ok. I was alone today well except for these 2 girls whom I've volunteered with previously but they're in charge of marketing. So I didn't get to meet them as I 'm always at the backstage.
The food caterers arrived exactly at 11am. We have to sort out all the lunches and drinks. Count and tally with the number of participants and officials/volunteers. It's a simple lunch, well what do you expect when we are non-profit organisation who only depends on donations, support from the goverment and community. Simple meal, fried rice, black pepper chicken, vegetables and spring rolls. I even told Ricky that, we should eat all the good stuffs and leave just the rice to the participants. The funny thing is that, the Japanese delegates simply love the lunch affair. They said it's delicious. Hmm I've no comments on that. I simply thought it's tasteless.
Slack for awhile. After which I rotate my duty with some of the student volunteers cause they want to rest. I went to the court to be one of technical officials with the referees. After which I swap again my duty back to Logistics after the student came back from their rest.
Picture Time!!! SNAP SNAP SNAP!!!!
Participants from Japan during the official opening ceremony
Participants from Malaysia in orange tshirt and participants from Hong Kong in Red
Cheryl Fox was there too on behalf of Channel News Asia. She look simply gorgeous even early in the morning. Too shy to take a picture with her cause nobody seems to be doing that so I thought I abandoned the idea.
View from grand stand.
With team from Hong Kong. They got the world 3 best Boccia player in the team.
Our lunch. I hope lunch on Saturday and Sunday is better than this.
Semi-finals would be tomorrow and the finals on the Sunday. Hopefully all goes well. Those who are interested to watch the event, come down to Jurong East Sports Complex on Saturday and Sunday from 8am till 6pm. ITS FREE!!! You can swim in the pool after the games. They got this giant slides for you to ride on.
At the same time, if you're generous, please do make donations or contributions to SDSC. We really appreciate your help. Lavinia are you reading this? I know your dad bought your mum a brand new ROLEX and he would probably afford to buy 10 more. And I know you're damn filthy rich but don't be such a whore. Could you tell your dad to donate $20,000 or more. We would really apperciate your utmost generosity. THANK YOU!!!
While doing my volunteerings. Hans came down to wait for me. While waiting for me to finish, he went to check out the gym and went for a few laps in the pool. Today's event finish 1 hour earlier so I decided to join Hans in the pool. Did few laps till 7.00pm. Supposed to attend a funeral wake with my secondary school friends but cancel last minute cause none of them could make it and I don't know where my friend stays. My friend Surong, her brother who is 28 years old, passed away on Wednesday. Not sure sure what was the cause, didn't asked. So instead Hans and I went to town for dinner and after which we watch Harry Potter:And the Order of the Phoenix. I've never watch Harry Potter's movie in cinema before cause I wasn't a big fan of it. I usually wait for their DVDs. I doze off few times in the cinema probably too tired. It' was really boring. Even Hans who is a Harry Potter fan says that the movie kinda sucky. Not many magic spells occur in the movie, it's not even child friendly movie too. I doubt any kids appreciate it cause there wasn't many funny spells or colorful sparks and such. I was hoping Harry Potter to die. Then at least all these kids wouldn't anticipate so much for the next Harry Potter movie or books. Too many kids in the cinema, perhaps thats why I didn't enjoy the movie at all. There was a girl in front of me, who kept on rocking her chair. I think when she grows up, she is gonna be rocking on the bed with a guy on top of her. Such a kid-whore.
Went to Hillview to stay over at Hans place. Hopefully I won't wake up late tomorrow. Expect another long day on Saturday. Have to go to Derek's birthday party after that. Sunday will be another long day too.


1 comment:
Wow, thanks for all of the pictures and information. This was a lot of fun to look through.
Post a Comment