Friday, July 29, 2005

Here I am in office doing overtime, rushing to complete my drawings. Weird I donch feel any stress at all. I think there are alot of difference compared to school. In school we all eat/sleep/think of our projects whereas in working life, we’ll only think of drawings during office hours. Of well I guess that’s working life.

 

Graduation day was a simple one. I was expecting a big bash – pomp and circumstance celebration since our graduation day falls on the same day. It was great seeing my classmates, everyone really looked at their very best. Gentlemen in formal office wear, ladies in blazers. How mature and professional were they in their outfits. I didn’t have any pictures for graduation day cos my camera battery decided to give up at the last moment but I’m sure some of classmates would donate the pics to me. I will try to upload them someway or somehow.

 

During the graduation I finally talk to Hwee Tiat. This concludes that I’ve talked to all my classmates. During 3 years in school , not once have I talked to Hweet Tiat other than saying ‘Excuse Me’ or ‘Sorry’. My conversation with him never goes beyond 5 words. It’s not that I’m avoiding him, it’s simply because there is nothing to talk about, we have nothing in common apar that both of us have dicks and we fantasize architecture. I was traumatized when I knew I was going to sit next to him during graduation day. Well anyway he was the first one to talk to me so I guess that’s cool. The valedictorian speech was boring. The girl really emphasizes her emotions in the speech. I would say she has over done her speech. She could have been better off in TCS8. I was glad it was someone else who is making the valedictorian speech, though I STILL think that I could do better speech than her. I still wonder who nominate me for the valedictorian speech trials. Hmm.?  

 

I just knew Mr Cheah Kok Ming read blogs. That includes mine. Oh dear… Oh well that’s cool but I wouldn’t stop being mean in my blogs. Heh.

 

Almost everyone in my class knows I would be going to Dubai soon. Well I’ve left roughly 1 week before I go Dubai. I would be there for 2 – 3 years depending how fast they could construct Dubai Mall. It’s impressive to know that the construction could take only 2 – 3 years albeit the massive size of the shopping mall. It’s going to be the world’s biggest shopping mall and inside the mall they going to have the world’s biggest jewellery stores called the Gold Souk. Souk means market in Arabic so literally it means Gold Market. You really have to see how big this Gold Souk is. They also have the world biggest aquarium 50m by 28m wide and 3 stories high. Last week they contractors in Dubai air mail a portion of the glass for the aquarium. It’s fucking thick. The thickness of the glass is about 50cm thick. I thought 50cm is already thick for a glass but the architect in charge of the glass said the real thickness is somewhat between 3 to 4 meters. That’s bloody thick. I roughly calculated that a 1 meter by 4 meter glass panel would weight roughly half a ton cos the sample glass which they send to us already weight about 80kg. I think all the Sheiks have fetish for anything big and tall. Big shopping malls, tallest skyscraper, biggest airline company (Emirates),biggest man-made island etc;. I wonder if they have big ego as well?

 

Anyway as I’ve said, I’ve only have 1 week left to prepare for my trip. I haven’t prepared my luggage nor the things which I want to bring. There are simply many things which I need to do while I’m in Dubai for 2 years. Bills to pay , farewell lunch/dinner appointments, clothes to buy etc; They only gave me two weeks notice to prepare which is very sudden. The directors are eager to send me off as early as possible but I told them I need time to prepare my stuffs. Thus I bargained with them 5th of August would be the day I leave instead of 25th July cos I wanna attend my Graduation Ceremony.

 

Life isn’t the same for me for the pass few days. I began to appreciate the food I eat, my mum’s cooking, my friends, the LRT/MRT/BUS rides, the smell of Orchard Road, the karang guni man, the coffeeshop aunty shouting orders etc,… I would never experience all of this in Dubai. I’m really nervous for the pass few days not knowing what to expect. Two years is long but I take it that going to Dubai is the same as going for NS. I’m not really worried about going to Dubai as I believe that I’m able to adapt to any new situations. The only thing which goes through my mind is finding accommodation in Dubai. I’ve to find my own accommodation at my own expenses after two months staying in Dubai. I guess I need to buy and read the classified section of the local newspaper once I reached there. I’m trying to follow how my foreign counterparts adapt in Singapore. Particularly the Filipinos maids, Bangladeshis construction workers or Indonesians maids. Though most of them are doing hard labor jobs, its very admirable that they are able to survive in a fast pace Singapore lifestyle. They would really miss their family, friends back home. It’s not easy to live secluded in a foreign country .I bet they would feel the same way as me before they come to Singapore. Butterflies in the stomach everyday prior few days to departure. I guess I should follow their example of adapting to foreign cultures. Kudos to them. Many people think working overseas would guarantee a high pay, unfortunately no. The pay I’m getting is obviously higher than I get in Singapore but the living expenses in Dubai is much higher than in Singapore due to their high imported items. Oh well… I’m sure I’m able to survive throughout the 2 years. =)

 

 

*Last image of you. Gone – Poof!!!*  (26-5-25-21)

*Scratches in the heart will eventually heal; all it need is time – Figure behind the glass*(12-11-25)

*Missing You* (7-5-14-14)

 

 

No comments: