Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Well i'm sure some of you how much trouble i've to go through when i check in at the airport. i've to actually forked out $980 for the air tickets simply because Jean forgot to give me the tickets But anyway she called me in Dubai and said that she accidentally left the tickets at her table so she is gonna reimbursed me the money at the following month... bloody hell... and I almost have to pay $200+ for the excess weight for my luggage but I think the Emirates staff found me too pathetic so they decided to waive the fees.

When I was in the plane, I happened to sit next to this Malay lady whom I've mistaken her for a Filipino lady. I forgot her name. Aniwae she was sitting on my left and on my right there is this horny Indian guy. (infact I've observed that all Indians in Dubai are horny bastards). Aniwae this Malay lady is married to a Palestinian lecturer who is in London, she is on the way home to Jordan and she told me all the secret life of the Arabs in particularly the female arabs. She told me exactly why they have to wear the veil/burkhas and why Arab men are always horny. Great conversation. The Indian guy on my right keeps on asking bout the ladies in Arab. He is rather keen to know more Arab ladies though he is married with 3 kids. Shame on him - bloody Indian.
The flight kinda sucks though Emirates is voted the No.1 Airline in the world. The food sucks, the movies wasn't that bad. I watched Mr and Mrs Smith, Monster-in-Law, Fantastic 4? and a cartoon forgot wat was it. If you take the plane to Dubai and u look down from the window, you can see fantastic view of the Dubai Creek, Palm Jumeira , Burj Al Arab and Port Rashid. (Palm Jumeira is the man-made Island which look like palm trees). I wish I could take the photos but we are coming in to land so I can't move around. My arrival was delayed cos there was sandstorm so the pilot have to circle the airport for about 30mins or so and when we landed, the plane simply kick off a lot of sand and dust, I cant see a bloody thing outside the window. The plane has to be parked at some remote area away from the airport, so we have to take this airport bus to reach the at the arrival gate. The airport is bloody huge, they are still constructing the new Dubai airport so we have to used the old terminals instead which look like factory but its still awesome in terms of size.

The moment I step into the airport I see Indians, its like an exodus or something, they are simply lots of them, that I thought that I've landed at the wrong airport. Apart from Indians there were also Filipinos. I went to the luggage carousel get my bags, then went to their basement to get my visas and change currency and get a taxi to my apartment. So far so so good. I reached my apartment which is at Silver Sands 3 in Bur Dubai which is a hotel apartment. I'm sharing with Olive, Vembu and Naga. I'll be staying there for now cos I'll be moving out to Golden Sands 9 later at night. The size of the hotel aparment is huge bout the size of two 4 Room HDB flat. Infact I think the room size is standard here. Its really huge. I took 4hr sleep before a driver take me in the afternoon to the site office.

When I woke up I went to the Al Khaleej centre to the their Macdonalds and ate this vegetarian burger which taste awful. They donch have chilli sauce and I've to accept ketchup instead urgh..
A driver pick me up in the afternoon and took me to the site office. We have 5 offices at the site. The main office look like those container office u see at the construction site except ours is bigger and nicer. Their branch offices are much more better than us cos theirs is a proper office. The construction site is huge cos I remembered we have to actually go around the site to get to the main entrance and that took us about 15 minutes to go around it. The main site office is shared with Meinhardt structural/mechanical engineer teams and also the Turner teams. Each team has their own container except for DP and Turner , we have to share. The container office is complete with pantry, meeting rooms, computer bays, store room etc; the main setback bout this place is that we don have internet access except for the 2 computers which we have to share. Unlike their branch office which have internet excess. Most of the staffs here are Filipinos, there are few Indians, Sri Lankans, Singaporeans, Malaysians and Russians but none of them are Arabs. How ironic can that be when we are in the middle of Dubai.

I'm working with a guy called Mahesh a Sri Lankan and Neil from India. Both of them are hired by the Emaar itself , they are not part of DPA. I dunno why I always end up in a small team. When I was in Singapore my team member have never ever been more than 3 people unlike in the other teams which has more than 4 people. Currently I'm working as a Document Controller, Architectural officer and a temporary QA. Its 3 man's job cos they are really short of staff here. So most of us have to multitask. Some of you may wonder wat the hell is a Document Controller, well DOC (short term for it) is something like a Librarian. You keep all the drawing records/facisimile/ co-ordination of the project blah blah etc; Its troublesome because there are lots of documents and personnel to control and as a QA I've to receive all material samples to specifications and visit their factory to make sure the materials are in a good quality.

So anyway, I've moved into the new apartment which is even bigger than the previous one. I'm sharing with Andie, Kok Siang, Charles and Joe. And we are sharing two per bedroom thus I'm sharing mine with Joe. Our room is kinda big with a walk in wardrobe and a attached bathroom. There's a gym and a pool at the roof top. And at nite we can see Russian prostitutes at the side walk even though our area supposedly to be an area for Expats. Well who cares, I rather die a virgin then getting laid with a whore...

Dubai still sucks because when I came here two years ago I see REAL Arabs but now all I see are Indians and Filipinos. Thus we end up eating Indian and Filipino food for lunch/dinner. Renting a room is very expensive. Food are expensive, a meal at MacDonalds would fetch me about 16 Dirhams or about $8 Singapore dollars. Bloody hell I got tricked into coming here...

Of cos not everything is that bad... I will continue some other time...

No comments: