Thursday, September 15, 2005

Why some of you morons keep on asking me if Dubai has snow or if Dubai got camels and some of you even asked me if Dubai is in India. Well yes Dubai has snow, No Dubai has no camels but they have kangaroos and Yes Dubai is in India near Hyderabad -_-!!!

Taxi rides in Dubai can be a nightmare. Yesterday I went to Emirates Post at Al Rashidiya which is far away about 20 minutes ride from Bur Dubai. I hitch a ride from Mahesh as he is going home to Sharjah. Traffic jam in Dubai is bumper to bumper and so as not to trouble Mahesh, I told him to just drop me at Deira and from there I would take a cab. I went for dinner at IKEA and got myself a cab 30 minutes later. The ride from Deira to Al Rashidiya took about 15 minutes. The driver is really unfriendly cos he doesn't know where is the post office and I don't know it myself either. So he says he wouldn't drive me unless I know the place. As not to waste time I simply said that I knew where is it cos the post office would close in about 1 hours time. When we get to Al Rashidiya we spent ample time looking for the post office and finally we reached. The ride cost me Dhs 18.00. Unfortunately I got to the wrong post office. The guy at the post office I'm supposed to go to the MAIN post office not the branch. So I've no choice but to take another cab. This cab driver is really helpful (infact too helpful till I know it much later), we went around Al Rashidiya looking for the main post office and finally we found it that it is located somewhere isolated in the middle of some suburban villas. He offered to wait for me as I get my mail cos it's very hard to get cab around the area. This cab driver infact accompany me all the way to the front desk. I really thought he was helpful. When we went back to the cab, I sat behind the driver as what most passengers would do. He drive and stop halfway and ask me to sit in front which I don't mind because perhaps he feels comfortable having his passengers in front and chatting at the same time. He ask stupid questions like where I work, how old I am etc; When I reached Bur Dubai, I told him to drive up to Golden Sands 9 apartment instead of Oasis Apartment because I donch want him to know where I stay. He stop right at the entrance of Golden Sands 9 and I was about to pay when he asked me if he could take a picture of me. And I asked what for. He said I got a beautiful smile, eyes blah blah blah... . And I told him to stop fooling around and just return me my change. The ride cost Dhs 30.00 and I gave him a Dhs 100.00 , so he supposed to return me Dhs.70.00 change back. But he insists that he wants my picture and I said no. He told me to keep his number or else he won't return my change. Of cos if I have the choice I would just get down from the cab but he still owe me Dhs. 70.00. So I agreed to keep his number. I dialed his number and showed him that I really keying in his number after which I deleted. He is satisfied but he only returned me Dhs 50.00. He still insists that he wants my picture or else he won't return the remaining Dhs.20.00. I was really annoyed by then so I said to myself 'what the fuck its just Dhs 20.00'. So I left the bloody cab and walk off. A lady who just got out of the apartment got into the same cab. I looked back at the cab and the driver winked at me. WHAT THE FUCK!~!~!~ THAT'S GROSS.... But the fucking thing which I forgot to do is to punch the guy and write down the plate number down.

The next day I told my encounter to Celso and Joy. They said they've encountered similar experience before. One of the driver actually drove Joy from church to somewhere quiet and proposed to Joy to be his girlfriend. Joy refused and the driver was not happy and didn't drive Joy to her destination. Celso was overcharged by one of the cab drivers even though there is a meter in the taxi. Oh well... come to think of it, I've experienced something new in this part of the world.

No comments: