Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Patrick's father passed away last month and I only got to know it when he messaged me few days back. Somehow I'm angry and sad at the same time. Angry because I wasn't there for my friend, sad simply because it's a tragic loss for my friend. It's one of those weird old feelings. I've not met this old friend of mine for ages and even if I did, it's only once every 2-3 years; we just keep in touch via messages for the past few years. Weird way to communicate with an old acquaintance since after all he used to be my close friend back in school days.

 

I met up with Marc Ibrahim and Frederick last Friday. Both are my former roommates when I first came to Dubai. Marc is a 24 yrs old Lebanese, Frederick is 28 yrs old Americunt. (I like the name Frederick cos it is so 'Pro-Germannazisch' -  Hail Hitler!) and the other guy is 26yrs old Toriyama  a graphic artist *I forgot his first name but we always call him Toriyama*. This Toriyama guy already went back to Japan last January to help his brother with his noodle stall somewhere in Yokohama. Sad to say we didn't stay together for long cos our bloody landlord some muthafucking Indian decided to raise the rent which we disagree. So this fucking Indian landlord of ours told us that we either pay the rent or get out. Since the place we stay is such a crap we decided to leave. I hope my former landlord burnt to death in that building.

 

So I went out with Marc and Fred in Marc's old rickety Jeep. I've never like his Jeep cos it's roofless and doorless. No, wait. There are two doors but its always stuck so usually we climb in. Marc told me to drive but I refused cos its in manual. I'm not used to drive manual on the right hand side of the road. It's funny how I always turn on the wiper instead of the signal switch. Fred can't drive so he doesn't care less. We went up to Sharjah with no intentions to stop at any particular place. Seriously we have no plans at all, we just want to catch up with one another. So we just drove around under the hot sun with no roof to protect us from the glare, no windows to protect us from the dust. We stopped along some old rickety shop along the highway and had a meal. I like those old rickety shops along the highway. Reminds me of those old Texas รข€“ Cowboy movies. Really it's a miserable drive. I wonder why there isn't any cactus in the desert. I want to see real live big juicy cactus not those tiny cute little morsels where you'd find in the supermarket. The heat and the dust were really torturing for a weekend drive. I swear to God I wouldn't want to go out in that Jeep anymore. We drove around for a few hours, stopped by at weird places. Like more rickety shops selling car body parts and even bakery. Wonder who would buy cakes in the middle of nowhere. In the end we end up in City Centre queuing up for the movie Flight 93. Boring show I would say.

 

We stopped by at Fred's place in Al Rashidiya after the movie, he is staying with some lady. The rent is way cheaper then in Dubai. Located in the suburbs, very quiet too quiet infact, too much sand around despite it's a residential area, very spacious but far from any shopping malls. I can't live without shopping malls or hypermarkets. He got great collection of pirated DVD movies. I like. But his place is too far for me to visit regularly to borrow and infact by the time I blog this down, I've forgotten the location of his apartment. Bleah. Marc is staying in Diyaf now, not far from my place. He is staying with his cousin. I've no idea where Diyaf is. Marc says its only 6 minutes aways from Burjumman. Not sure what he meant by 6 minutes away. Is it 6 minutes by driving or walking? Another Bleah.

 

That is how I spent my boring weekend. Pathetic life I've got.

 

I reread this entry and realized that my groups of friends are always in 4s. Hmm is it coincidence?

No comments: