Istanbul Trip
I came back from 4 days holiday to Istanbul - Turkey last 2 weeks. Whee.. It`s still fantastic although I`ve been there 3 times and this is my 4th time. Few days before my flight, I began to worry. I was really afraid that Istanbul would be stained with too many expatriates like Dubai. I really hate it. There are simply too many Indians and Filipinos in Dubai and I just hope these `phenomena` does not spread to Turkey. I would be disappointed if it does.
Istanbul is worth visiting more than twice. It`s a city where East meets West. Half of Istanbul lies on the Asian continent whereas the other half lies on the European continent but nonetheless Turkey is still part of Europe. Turkey was famed for its Ottoman Empire which ends in the early 20th century. The Ottoman Empire was feared by many. Ottoman Empire is to Turkey what Roman Empire is to Italy. Great monuments were built as a tribute to successful war or a form of glory for God. Thus many big mosques, palaces, stone walls with inscription of successful wars etc; were found in the middle of the city. Most of these historical monuments stark out of nowhere in the middle of the road. Some of it are already in ruins whereas those still in intact are restored to make it what it might look when it was first completed.
The currency for Turkey is called Turkish Lira. The rate is almost the same as Singapore dollars. In Dubai it`s very hard to change from UAE Dirhams to Turkish Lira. Most of the banks or the local currency exchange bureau do not sell or have limited amount of Turkish Lira notes. I manage to change only 500 Dirhams in Dubai. The rate wasn`t good. For 500 Dirhams I got only 180 Turkish Lira by right I should get 205 Turkish Lira. So I decided to change my remaining 500 Dirhams in Istanbul. We`re supposed to backpack for this trip. To me backpack means light traveling with lots of walking but come to think of it I should call it budget trip cos, when we went there, each of us only carry a bag but when we come back to Dubai we carried loads of shopping bag. But nonetheless I only spent 2200 Dirhams or S$930 for the trip including airfare, shopping, lodging and other miscellaneous items.
We flew to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines, we paid 1200 Dirhams or S$500 for the airfare. The flight from Dubai to Istanbul is 4 hours. We depart from Dubai at 2.50am and estimated to arrive in Istabul at 7.30am. We`re supposed to fly on a Boeing 737-800 but instead it was changed to Airbus 310-300. I was disappointed of cause. Being an aviation freak that minor change means A LOT to me. The plane is old with no PTVs instead they have a projector screen. Food wasn`t bad even though I`m supposed to say it`s bad. I love airline food cos they are always arranged such a way that it looked organized and such. We had rubbery omelet, sausage which looks like a pig`s penis, burnt tomatoes and some crap orange juice which taste like as if it has been fermented for centuries but to me it`s still taste tasty hahaha.. Adding to the unappetizing meal was the crew members. They looked so old but yet look plastic at the same time. I guess it`s Botox. The male crew members are balding, the female crews are abit old somewhat. If they apply for SIA I`m sure they would be told to retire straight away. I would say they are nice bunch of crew but they are always in a hurry. 
Turkish Airlines parked at Atarturk International Airport, Turkey
DAY 1
We arrived at the airport somewhat earlier than scheduled. There was no queue which was a good thing. The first thing that I did when I arrived was to look around and notice if there are multitude of Indian or Filipinos. Well I`m glad there wasn`t any except for the two Filipinas infront of me. We head for the nearest currency bureau and we found several but unfortunately none of them accept our UAE Dirhams. It appears that our UAE Dirhams are worthless in Istanbul. So thus I withdraw my Turkish Lira from the nearest Citibank ATM machine despite there would be charges to my credit card.
The weather is perfect about 27 deg. Bright sun with cool breeze. No peculiar smell just fresh breeze. It`s Friday morning so there were many people going to work. We took the underground Metro from the airport and drop off at Aksaray station to take the local tram line to Sultanahmet. All public transport trains, trams, buses except for taxi charges a flat rate of TL 1.30 or equivalent to S$1.00 to any destinations. It`s a rip off if u travel short distances but worth it if you travel long distance. By the way they do not use tickets instead they use tokens. You can buy this tokens at all tram/bus stops
The underground Metro. Easy to get around city with dumb proof maps. Trains arrived every 5-10 minutes. I would say they are punctual. 
The local tram line
The local tram line gets crowded in the mornings and evenings due to office rush. I was having orgasm and epileptic orgasm the moment I board the tram because I`ve never ride on one before. Very comfortable ride and its wheelchair friendly. As I was looking at the sign boards displayed things that are prohibited on the tram, I noticed a peculiar rule. `Passengers are not allowed to talk loudly as it might disturb other passengers`. Very sensible rule but it still strikes me as odd however.
We dropped off at Sultanahmet station and the first thing you would see is the Blue Mosque which is on the right of the station. If you walk down from the station you would find the Aya Sofya or Hagia Sofya and if you walk up from the station would find the Grand Bazaar. So in other words all monuments are at a walking distance especially if you stay in Sultanahmet area. 
View of the Blue Mosque from the tram stop.
This is the street where we get off in Sultanahmet. From where this picture is taken, one could see the Aya Sofya and the Blue Mosque.
Blue Mosque on the left
Aya Sofya on the right
Finding our hostel was tedious as we have to make through many streets. Asking for directions from the locals is another option; they are always ready to help. The moment we opened a map, someone for sure will approach us and offer their help to get to our destination. That`s how friendly the Turkish people are. It`s doesn`t take long for us to familiarize ourselves with the street. It was easy actually. One thing I hate about the streets is that, it was built on a hill slope just like in San Francisco. So we either have to climb down or climb up the street. Either way it`s still tiring but one advantage is that, as we walk down the street, we get to see the ocean view which is called the Bosphorus Sea. The streets are fascinating to view with myriad of colors. Green, red, blue, orange all linked as if it is one color by itself. Very pleasant to my eyes nothing striking unlike in Dubai.. Cafes with nice settings, plush cushions covered in shade line up the street for patrons having their meals. As we walk along the street, we could smell the fresh baked breads from some of the cafes. No one seems to be in a hurry here. The cafe owners sit by their shop front drinking apple tea and take a puff. Even though it`s a narrow street, occasionally there would be one or two tourist buses or huge trucks passing through. When a vehicle made a stop, the driver behind would patiently wait or make a detour without honking. A similar situation in Dubai would probably be different, drivers would honk and vulgarities exchanged. We booked our hostel at the Metropolis Hostel. It`s a yellow color building which was just opened 3-4 months back. It has a restaurant which is located on the opposite street called the Metropolis Cafe. The hostel has all the basic necessities, shower room, roof top cafe, different rooms to accommodate different group size and etc;. You can find more information about this hostel here
*Click here for more information on METROPOLIS HOSTEL*
After checking in, we had our breakfast at the roof top overlooking the streets and the sea. Even though we had checked in, our room wasn`t ready yet, apparently the previous guest has not left. We didn`t mind that after all since we checked in early at 9am. So we decided to take a quick walk to the Blue Mosque.
This hostel is situated at a corner of the street. Quite difficult to find but once you know you way round, you wouldn`t missed it. Cute color I might say.. Very cosy place to spend your time in Istanbul
That`s how small the room is but trust me its cosy and infact you won`t spent much time in the room anyway.
As we walk from the hostel, we pass through the street once more and then up a steep road and take a shortcut through the bazaar, the Aksaray Bazaar. It`s a small bazaar lined up in a straight row. They sell carpets, nice porcelain bowls, scarves and so on. Infact its cheaper to buy your souveniers here than at the Grand Bazaar.
The Aksaray Bazaar. Parallel shops. Choice of souveniers are somewhat limited than at the Grand Bazaar but its definitely cheaper. 
Shops selling traditional garments. This attire is widely popular during the Ottoman Empire. Worn by the Royal family and the Court Officials. 
Shop selling porcelain bowls. You can find lots of bowls with intricate design in Istanbul. I definitely have a new fetish, BOWL FETISH.
We can see the Blue Mosque from almost anywhere in Sultanahmet even from our hostel. As the name suggested, the mosque is blue in color built by the famous Turkish architect Koca Mimar Sinan Agha or just known as Sinan back in the 18th century.
*Click here for more information on Architect Sinan*
Opposite the Blue Mosque, there is a Hippodrome or what it used to be but now it has turned to a park. In the park there are two huge Obelisks. Can`t really remember what it is for. I`m sure it used to commemorate an event. I can`t read hieroglyphics but I can recognize two symbols which indicates a Pharaoh`s name and the sun god Ptah. We didn`t exactly visit the Blue Mosque, we just walk around the perimeter to get the orientation of the surroundings. We spent about an hour and we went back to our hostel to put our bags in the room. We had a shower and took a 2 hour nap before we proceed for lunch and all the site visits.
We had a late lunch at 3pm at the hostel`s cafe the Metropolis Cafe. We had a fantastic meal. An average meal would cost TYL8.00 or S$6.00. I had a meal with chicken bits in it, the others had salad, steak or fish. I love the meal cos its colorful, creamy taste with lots of cheese but it does not leave an after taste unlike Asian food. All meals are accompanied with breads and salads with lots of olives, typical for Mediterranean or Arabic cuisine. 
Metropolis Cafe & Restaurant is situated at corner of a junction. The cafe has the same yellow paint as its hostel. Ran by a family. Splendid food, typical Mediterranean cuisine. Most of the food here are rich and creamy with loads of cheese. I love this kind of diet.
I had this meal with chicken bits. The Sultan Chicken


Ok enough of food for now. We are now just too full to walk,
Our first stop is Aya Sofya or Hagia Sofya.
*Click here for more information on Hagia Sofya*
Ticket entrance into Aya Sofya cost TYL10.00. The ticket could be a souvenir so don`t throw it away. I took a quick survey of the tourists around me and I was glad there wasn`t any Indians or Filipinos but to my amazement there were many South Koreans. These people really had a fugly sense of fashion. It`s very easy to tell South Koreans apart from the Japanese. The Koreans had the sun visor perched high up on their head, the ladies would wear scarves around their neck like a Boy Scout with fugly floral blouse or dress. The man would have a stripe polo shirt on. Some had white clean gloves on just to handle their SLR cameras. Nobody would notice a dead Korean woman in the park if she wears a floral blouse, she would just blend in with the flowers. Come to think of it the popular soap drama Winter Sonata which is aired on Singapore channel few years back is just a hype and they are not glamorous after all. Typical Koreans are not as cool as the cast for Winter Sonata; typical Koreans had fugly dressing exactly the same as what rich Chinese people from China would wear. I feel like slapping these people upside down. Sadly the building was under some sort of restoration done to the ceiling. Thus I couldn`t see how vast the dome is. We are not allowed to snap pictures with our camera flash on. The guards are always there reminding us `NO FLASH PLEASE`. Not sure why camera flash is not allowed though but I guess it has to do with the motives on the wall. Light sensitive probably; flash could deteriorate the color, that`s my guess. There were many tourists but it wasn`t crowded except for the toilets. After the walkabout we had to make a pit stop to the loo. The toilets are clean and such, the male toilet was somewhat empty but the female toilet had a long queue. 
The Aya Sofya
Image of the dome under restoration
Another view inside Aya Sofya
View of the Blue Mosque from a window of Aya Sofya
The guard keep on reminding the visitors `NO FLASH PLEASE`
Tourists on site
Can`t resist myself to capture another picture of the Blue Mosque from the window
The minaret
External view of Aya Sofya
View of Aya Sofya from the local park
We head of to the Basilica Cistern which is just across the Aya Sofya. Unfortunately all the pictures which I took are either dark or blurry. No idea why. Must be my damn hands. I paid TYL 10.00 just to see a cistern? Can you imagine that? What the hell but hey they got this awesome Medusa pillar. They even got a cafe in the cistern.
*Click here for more information on Basilica Cistern*
The Cistern Cafe
It`s almost 5pm and we have almost covered all the architectural sights. By now most of the tourist venues are closed. We try our luck by heading to the Topkapi Palace. Unfortunately when we reached there the guards told us its already closed for the day. We kind of lost now as we have no plans. So we decided to head back to the park next to the Blue Mosque and snap more pictures while we decide where to go later on. 
The Blue Mosque
THAT`S ME!~!~
While walking around we saw this guy pouring apple tea to tourist. Apple tea apparently is a popular local tea. It taste exactly like apple juice except that its hot. Apples are pluck and cut into thin slices and dried in the open air. After which they are either cut into small little bits or grind into powder mixture. You just have to add hot water and serve it as tea. One cup of apple tea cost TYL1.00. So anyway we saw this guy in a traditional garb pouring tea for tourist. We decided to approach him and try the tea and at the same time take a picture of him. So we approach him and just point to him we wanted to try the tea. After which I took the courage that I want to take picture of him. So each one of us just find the opportunity and snap a photo with him. Before we left, he chased after us and demands TYL10.00 from each of us. We ask him why? He said we have to pay him TYL10.00 for taking his photo. We were shock of cause but we just paid. I don`t know why I have to pay him but I just did. I know we have been conned but something tells me that I should just shut the fuck up and pay him. The next few days afterwards, my anger focused on him.
The bugger pouring us tea
If anyone of you visit Istanbul and by chance you meet this bugger. Could you please ask him to return my TYL10.00 back because Nasir says so. I hate this bugger tea man. Rules of thumb never approach people in weird garbs.
We are so hungry now. So we decided to visit the wharf for dinner. We cross the park took the tram from Sultanahmet to Eminonu which is 3 stops away. In Eminonu, you could see ferries berthing at the quay. Most of these ferries ply the routes to Princess Island, Bosphorus Cruise and also to other nearby destination. The sight of Eminonu is almost the same as walking along Clarke Quay. You could see people setting up temporary stalls selling clothes, roadside vendors, etc; It`s a very busy sight. We decided to have our dinner at this cafe located under Galata Bridge which sells fish sandwich. Fish sandwich is very popular if you walk by the seaside. It consists of fresh baked baguette, grilled mackerel, with onions, lettuce, tomatoes, seasoned with lemon juice and salt. It cost TYL5.00. The sandwich meal is very satisfying even though its just a simple meal.
Fish Sandwich
We head back to the wharf and just absorb the view. People are fishing for crabs and fishes. There are few men selling steam muscles. These muscles is cut into half and stuffed with rice, herbs and season with lemon juice. For TYL1.00 you could get 3 pieces of muscles. Being a Singaporean and risking of getting diarrhea or Hepatitis B, we bought TYL8.00 worth of muscles. Its really worth it even if you get diarrhea or Hepatitis B. 
First the vendor will slice the muscle for you.
Squeeze some lemon juice
And ready to eat. Yum Yum.
People fishing by the wharf
Roadside Vendors
A mosque in Eminonu
View of Eminonu Wharf
It`s almost 10pm and we head back to the hostel to shower and sleep.
DAY 2
We woke up early. Our destination for today would be the Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar and other unplanned destination. We had a good rest, feeling fresh. We head to a cafe just down the road and have a Turkish breaskfast for only TYL5.00. The breakfast consists of boiled eggs, feta cheese, salad, baguette, local bread, olives and apple tea. Doesn`t sound much but the amount of food is just nice for the morning. I think I should have this breakfast more often. 
Turkish Breakfast
We walk through the street. Temperature should be about 24 degrees with cool morning breeze. Cafe owners are receiving their first customers for breakfast while some are cleaning their premises. 
View 1 of the street
View 2 of the street
There are many colorful shophouses along the street. Some has funky colors.
View 3 of the street
View 4 of the street
We walk back through the hippodrome and then to Sultanahmet towards Topkapi Palace.
Along the way we saw a local police station. 
Local police station.
*Click here for more information on Topkapi Palace*
We reached Topkapi Palace .The entrance fee is TYL10.00. Lots of tourist but not crowded. We have to go through a metal detector like the ones in the airport. Infact all places of interests that we went to have a metal detector. I was hold by the security guard for possessing a camera tripod stand thus I have to leave my tripod at the entrance and picked it up when I exit. You can walk around the premises with no restrictions except for some rooms which are either under restoration or inaccessible to the public. They had this wonderful colored map for us to follow. There is also an audio guide. I rented the audio guide for TYL10.00. This audio guide comes with its own map. All I have to do is just follow the map and it will guide me to different rooms. On the map, there is a number printed in bold red at different locations. Whenever I reached this locations, I just have to press the audio guide with the specific number printed and it will just commentate or describe the function of the room or etc. Very useful system but unfortunately you cant share as it is not audible except to your own ears.
There is nothing grand about the palace itself besides its intricate design or ornaments on the wall. The palace is located above a hill overlooking the sea. You can find jewelleries, furnitures, clothes and etc; used by the Ottoman Empire. It`s really extravagant as one might say when they see all these treasures. I would say it`s a waste of money. There are sofas with silk cushions and gold plated, candle stand made out of pure gold, utensils made of crystals, jugs with diamond embedded, stuffs like that. Too much Bling-Bling for me. Of cause after all the walking you can visit the cafe which is located right on the cliffs. They have splendid view of the ocean or you can just lie down on the green grass in the middle of the castle and take nap. 
Entrance to Topkapi Palace
Green grass with many trees, a magnificent view after spending months in treeless Dubai
They display bowls used during Ottoman Empire. They got more bowls on display but I`m not gonna post it.
Cutlery made of silver and gold. Yawn..
Entrance to one of the rooms
Maple leaf duh..

I simply have orgasm when I see the grass
I found this cute kid running beside me when I was lying on the grass
View of the sea from the cafe
Most of the displayed items cannot be captured on camera as it was not allowed. Thus I`ve nothing much to post up here.
It`s already afternoon and we head back to the park opposite the Blue Mosque. We saw the bugger tea man again. Bloody cheater bug. We found a booth selling tickets for the Dervishes dance later in the evening. It cost TYL30.00 but we told the guy that we are students thus we end up paying only TYL25.00. In Istanbul you could get a better price for almost anything if you tell the shopkeeper that you`re a student. For any events that requires any tickets purchases, just tell the person at the booth that you`re a student and person will simply give you a discount. Of cause we are not students and don`t say that we are cheater bugs!! THE TEA MAN IS A CHEATER BUG BUT WE ARE NOT. So anyway, we head of LALE Restaurant. This restaurant is kind of famous in Istanbul especially for backpackers. They serve quality food at a reasonable rate. Vegetarians heading for Istanbul should visit this restaurant as they serve fantastic vegetable cuisine. Price range is between TYL3.00 to TYL8.00
Lale Restaurant. Good Place, Good Price..
I had this Sultanahmet Kebab. It has beef, top with spaghetti like sauce, melted feta cheese and cream, bread cuts and vegetables. 
Then I had this steam fish.
After lunch we head off to the Grand Bazaar for souvenirs.
*Click here for more information on The Grand Bazaar*
Grand Bazaar is the world`s first shopping complex. The bazaar is really a labyrinth, we got lost few times and we simply couldn`t find the exit. Prices here are somewhat expensive but if you know how to bargain, you could really get it at a cheap price. For example I wanted to buy a t-shirt which cost TYL30.00, I simply bargained with the shopkeeper and finally he sells it to me for just TYL15.00. You can simply buy anything here from antiques, to carpets, bowls and fake branded items. I bought myself a tshirt, bowls, a table runner and a box of apple tea powder. I wish I could spend more but due to limited funds and I do not want to have excess baggage, I restrict myself from buying. Besides it`s supposed to be a budget trip, why spend more than necessary?
Entrance to the Grand Bazaar
Inside the Grand Bazaar
Another view
Shop selling sheesha pipes
Shop selling bowls
Shop selling scarves
Shop selling various designs of chess set
Took this photo with the shopowner. This shop sells THE EVIL EYE. It comes either in keychain, bowl, wind chime, etc; THE EVIL EYE is used by the Arabs to ward of the evil. 
The EVIL EYE keychains
*Click here for more information on The Evil Eye*
After burning a hole in my pocket, hungry and exhausted we decided to go back to our hostel and place all our shopping bags before we head off to the Sikerci Train Station to watch the Deverdish Dance. Before that we had to get our dinner. So went walk down to Eminonu wharf and had fish sandwich and muscles again for dinner. I really love the muscles.
*Click here for more information on The Dervishes Dance*
Dervishes dance ritual usually is held for certain occasion but nowadays the dance is performed basically for entertainment / commercial purposes. This dance which we gonna watch is held at the Sikerci train station. There is a hall reserved just for this purpose. You have to come early to get a good sit. We sat on the 2nd row so it wasn`t too bad just that we realize the dancers has their back facing us but otherwise the view is just fine. It started with small group of musician playing on different kind of instruments. They had a flute, violin-like instrument except its two stringed, a Chinese like instrument – Guzheng, an instrument similar to a guitar called the Gambus and two small drums which resembles the tom-tom. It started off slow serene music and it gets faster and it stopped after which followed with 3 men chanting and it gets faster too. Then 5 male dancers came to the middle of the court. They place a wool mat on the floor and bow several times. They got up and start twirling. Seriously it is not an easy ritual. One could get dizzy just by doing several turns however these dancers keep on spinning none stop, stopping only to change positions. This goes on for about an hour or so. The whole musical event really left me in daze. The chanting was really dreamlike almost driving me to ecstasy. 
A brochure of Dervishes Dance
The audience in the hall
The musician which will be accompanying the dance
Dancers coming in for the ritual dance
Dancers spinning
Spinning away
Video of the dance is right below, just click on the link to view it.
After the event, we head out to the Macdonalds across the road to buy drinks. We manage to get pictures taken with the staff. The Macdonalds menu is almost the same as the one in Singapore except they had no breakfast. They do have wide variety of salads to choose from catering for vegetarians.
Macdonals. I`m lovin it..
The crew members. They insists that we exchange emails so that I could emailed them these two pictures which I already did.
We head back to Sikerci train station to board the train heading towards Sultanahmet. There are few choice for us to head back to our hostel. We can take the tram, bus, the local train or cab. We decided to take the local train this time. The local trains really look damn Communist. Like it traveled all the way from China to Istanbul. The train kind of old, it departs every 15 minutes. The token for this ride cost TYL1.60
The local train
Inside the train. Everything look darn communist. 
Passengers in the train.
DAY 3
We woke up slight early today despite being tired with all the walking on the previous day. Cant recall what we had for breakfast but I believe it was fish sandwich again. Anyway today our destination would be the Bosphorus Cruise and Taksim Square. The ferry ride on Bosphorus cruise will take us from the European side of Istanbul and cross over to the Asian side of Istanbul. The route will crisscross from Europe to Asia few times. We can stop anywhere we like. Taksim Square is located in the New Istanbul which right across the Old Istanbul where we are currently at. We have to cross the sea to get to New Istanbul. We can get there either by hopping on a tram across the bridge or take a ferry.
*Click here for more information on The Bosphorus Sea*
For Bosphorus Cruise we had to go down to Eminonu tram station and cross over to the Eminonu Wharf No.3. We bought a one way ferry ticket to Sariyer which is almost the tip of the European side of Istanbul. The journey takes about 1hr 15mins. We were late for the cruise somehow thus we didn`t get the good seats. So we stood up by the safety barrier and enjoy the view. While cruising on the sea, we could see nice beautiful houses by the quay which one could dream of. Then we cruise under the huge suspension bridges. It seems everyone in the ferry are busy snapping pictures, no one seems to sitting down. 
The ferry we gonna board
Off we go..
Houses on the hill
Gonna pass under the bridge
We gonna pass under several bridges just like this
A fort
I want to stay in one of these houses
Our stop
Sariyer is a small fishing town. Basically it has small shops, residential blocks, very laid back kind of life. Most of the locals here work as far as in Old Istanbul or Taksim Square. So they have to commute everyday by ferry or bus. The town is small but yet busy as in the big city. One thing I like about this place is the existence of public transport. There are several bus service just passing through this town heading towards Taksim Square or Old Istanbul. 
The quayside
Sariyer Town
Fresh baked bread
Fresh fruits 
The street in Sariyer
Found these kids playing soccer in the middle of the road
The smallest bus I`ve ever seen
While waiting for the bus, I found this girl listening to her iPod
After walking and getting lost, we wait for the public bus. We are now heading towards Taksim Square. The public bus is as modern as the ones in Singapore infact much better as it is diabled and wheelchair friendly. The only irritating thing about these public buses is that they do not except coins or cash. Instead you have to buy a keychain like device and tap it on the scanning machine just like an EZ-LINK card. So when we board the bus, this guy paid for all our fares and we paid him cash. The funny thing about this payment device is that, several people can use it at the same time unlike EZ-LINK card which is only limited to one person. 
Taksim turn right
We reached Taksim Square 30 minutes later. Taksim Square is the main focal point for Turkish teenagers the same for Orchard Road to Singaporean teenagers. They had an entire street full with branded shops and alike. We had our lunch at the Burger King. Life is a bit chaotic here especially with the buses and cabs. It seems there are more cabs than cars here.
Inside Burger King 
Overlooking Taksim Square
Street View 1
Street View 2
Street View 3
Bought few tumblers as souvenirs for my friends from this Starbuck branch
Met this German guy while I was standing outside Starbucks. We got the same shirt. What are the chances? I bought mine from Pull n Bear in Dubai perhaps he got his back in Germany. He suggested we exchange email so that I could email this picture to him. 
Cinema in Taksim Square
We visited the Saint Anthony`s Catholic Church. 
While I walk up further I found this bunch teenagers. Very funny how they pose for the pictures and that we have to do it several times. Exchange emails with few of them as they wanted me to email this picture. I think I have exchange too many emails already.
We walk for almost a kilometer or so to get out of Taksim Square to the nearest train stop. We got on a tram and head back towards Sultanahmet. While in the tram, two people strike conversation with me. A lady and a guy. I`ve no idea what makes them strike conversation with me because as far as I know I`m not a friendly person. I intend to take a nap in the tram but I guess I have to stay awake and chat with them.
Someone took a picture of me having a conversation in the tram.
We walk towards the souvenir shops outside the Blue Mosque and spent again. I was supposed to be cash strapped but I realized I still got few more cash to spare. So I decided to buy more stuffs. We went to this shop called the Istanblue. They have nice glass lanterns and carpets.
Nice glass lanterns
Nice but too fragile to bring home
I bought this two figurines for TYL20.00
I also bought one of this, a model of the Blue Mosque for TYL25.00
We head back to our hostel and have a good nap. We woke up 2 hours later and realize its not even 6pm. So we decided to for a Turkish bath or known as Hamam. We planned to go tomorrow morning at it is our last day but decided to do it tonight since we have no plans.
*Click here for more information on Turkish Bath*
We walk back to Sultanahmet, walk up the street to Cemberlitas. Which is about 2 tram stops away. Cemberlitas Hamami or Cemberlitas Bath is quite well known for most tourist thus the fee for a bath is quite high. You could visit other baths of cause but since the Lonely Guide Planet book suggested this place, we decided to go for it. There many tourist outside the bath entrance most of them are Italians and Australians and few Japanese. You have a choice of what you want to during the bath. You can either have just the bath or bath + oil massage. We decided to go just for the bath as we are already cash strapped and we just want to experience the feeling of being in a Turkish bath . The fee just for the bath cos TYL30.00, if you opt for the bath + oil massage it will cost TYL60.00. I`m not sure if there was another kind of service besides the bath and the oil massage, couldn`t remember. So anyway we paid for our bath and we were given a token. Male and female have separated baths. The main lobby is padded with timber to give that sauna like ambience just that it wasn`t steaming hot. There are sofas and chairs for the guest to sit around while waiting for their friends to finish their bath. I was lead by a guy to the 2nd floor into a small room to strip my clothes and put on my towels. Then I went back down again to get a small towel, a sponge and soap. I was shown to a door and it leads to a room, where many half naked men are standing either waiting to shower, massage or to go into the steam bath itself. I gave my token and proceed on to the steam bath. It was really hot. Not sure where the steam comes from. In the centre of the steam room, there is a marble podium where you lie down to warm up yourself and after which you get scrubbed down by the old men who works in the steam bath. The room is circular with high dome roof. At the sides of the room there are several running taps for you to shower with before you lie down on the podium. You lie on the podium for about 10 minutes and the old men will call upon you. He will get the sponge and the soap which you have brought along and he will scrub you till your bare skin. The he will massage your body. Before my turn there was an Italian guy around my age. I was lying down on my back and he was beside me getting a scrub. He was cursing while he was being massage, it was really a painful sight as I know it would be my turn next. He told me to watch out for the old man and wish me good luck. I try to avoid that particular old man and instead find someone who gives a gentler massage but unfortunately none of them provide gentle massage. You could hear Oohs and Ahhs in the steam room. It was indeed a torture. I have no choice but to go back to that particular old man as he already called upon me. He squeezed my thigh, scrub my back till sore red, pulled my limbs out. My entire body is covered in foams and that hurts my eyes. The old man rinses me clean and told me to lie down on the podium for as long as I like. The Italian guy, who was sitting next to me, gave me thumbs up. I lie for another 15 minutes before I get out of the steam room. I went to the shower room to rinse myself again. I went back to the small room to change back to my clothes. My skin feels smooth and totally clean and it smells nice too. As I climb down the stairs, there was a guy standing at the landing and told me to open up my palms. He then poured rose water on it and told me to rub it on my body and face. It smells really wonderful. I waited at the lobby for the girls to come out from their bath. 
Outside Cemberlitas Bath. Didn`t take the pictures inside the bath as I do not want my camera to get wet.
After the bath we walk down back to Sultanahmet and went to Lale Restaurant again for dinner.
This time I had vegetarian food as it was cheaper than eating meat. I only had TYL50.00 left. Vegetarians probably love to come to this cafe as the menu it offers for vegetarian is wide.
I had Zucchini with cheese. Taste wonderful at it only cost TYL6.00
Mushroom with Gravy
Beef Goulash
Marinated chicken
Steam Cous-Cous with spice.
The night is still early, so we decide stroll back to Blue Mosque. We have not visited Blue Mosque yet even though we had pass through it several times.
*Click here for more information on the Blue Mosque*
The Blue Mosque at night
Another angle of Blue Mosque
Visitors have to dress appropriately if they want to enter the mosque. For guys you could wear Bermudas but for ladies you have to wear long skirt/pants and headscarf. Don`t fret if you dress with minimum coverings cause at the entrance of the prayer hall, the security guard will provide headscarf and sarong for those of you who loves to bare their skin. I did not manage snap nice pictures while I was inside the mosque. Thus to make up for the pictures, I will post pictures of the most which I took days before.
Ablution area which is located outside the mosque
Front view of the Blue Mosque
Rear exterior of the Blue Mosque under restoration
Inside the premises of the mosque
View of Aya Sofya from the entrance of the Blue Mosque
The tall minaret
The entrance of the Blue Mosque
We went back to our hostel to pack up. After which we went to the rooftop to smoke sheesha pipe and drink apple tea.
Pftt..
DAY 4 - LAST DAY
The last day we woke up slightly later then usual but we still have to check out by 10.30am. We had our shower, place our bags at the counter and told the Sherzad the hostel staff to take care of our bags while we spent out last few hours in Istanbul. Our flight home is at 6.30pm so we had ample time to hang around. We head back to Eminonu Wharf to visit the Spice Bazaar next to it but unfortunately it was closed as it was Sunday but some shops are opened on that day.
You can get all kinds of spices, nuts and different kinds of cheese. It wasn`t crowded when we went there.
The market next to Spice Bazaar
Varieties of peanuts
Cheese shop
Different kinds of olives
Next to the market there is a mosque, not sure what mosque but there are lots of pigeons at the perimeter wall. Of cause when it comes to pigeon I couldn`t help it but to think of bird flu. Bleah
Outside the mosque
We can feed the pigeons. Just pay TYL1.00 to this lady and she will give you bird seeds
Feeding the pigeons
Fly pigeon fly
Ok enough of pigeons
We are hungry now since we didn`t have any breakfast. So we went back to Lale Cafe to have our lunch. We even took photos with the staff
Lale staff members
The menu in Lale Café
Since we have no rooms to go back to. We decided to go back to the hostel and go to the roof to hang out before we depart. They nice cosy sofas to lie down. We woke up at 4.30pm before the airport van pick us up.
The view from the hostel`s rooftop
Took picture with the hostel staffs, these are Sherzad`s cousins busy with their bar at the hostel rooftop
Busy getting our bags
Sherzad`s elder brother, Murad and us. Sherzad wasn`t there to take pictures with us.
Murad himself. He is a funny fellow, good in backgammon. Very friendly always giving us pointers of where to go around in Istanbul. Splendid host. Gonna miss this place.
While at the airport we met our fellow DP Architect colleagues. They are taking the same flight as us.
From top Left: Some fella, Aiza, Kumar, Aishah and Anthony
From bottom Left : Anita and Me
Reached Dubai at 1.30am. Dead tired still have to go to work in the morning.
For this trip I`ve used the following guide books to get around and trust me it`s useful. I`ve been using Lonely Planet guide for my other trips too. 
Get yours today!


1 comment:
What is your effin problem with Indians or Filipinos? I know it's your preference when you travel not to see them but hey, these people are going overseas to make a living and not to backpack or go on holidays. They don't expect you to be where they are...you're a fucking racist. You know what's even funnier? You're their fellow Asian. Look in the mirror and get those specks out of your eyes...they are blurring your vision, idiot!
Post a Comment