Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I wonder how many of us wouldn't mind being alone for their rest of their life? If given a choice I would want to be alone provided I have family member to fall back on. Then again imagine you're just alone with no family to rely on and your friends are just too busy with their own life. It's scary to think of it. Many of my colleagues have given me a piece of their mind about their relationship. Some of them are still single while some them are divorced.

Living here in Dubai has made me experienced what it's like to be single and lonely despite having many friends around. I can simply imagine that my life would be dull and retarded when my parents are no longer around. I simply wouldn't want any of my parents to pass on. I can't bare having that thought but I know sooner or later I have to face it. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. I have friends who has one of the parents pass on like Suhaidah and Charlene. I really admire them for having the courage to face the world despite not having one of their parents to fall on. I wish I could be like them somehow. Whenever I received a phone call, I always wished it's not a bad news regarding any of my family passing on. I feel nervous whenever someone calls me all the way back from Singapore. I wish there is no such thing as death.

I have this lame 'thought' where when somebody has reached a prime age of 70s or 80s, one could chose to stop aging between those two ages. Let say there is a man who is sick of life and he decided to stop aging at the age of 76. After which he/she has to leave Earth and chose a planet to continue his/her next life. Let say this man chose Mars. On planet Mars there would be many myriads of human beings who has average age of 75. So this man would interact with all the human beings, he could enjoy as much as he wants and no one would care. It's like a retirement home except this is a retirement planet. The good thing is that no one dies. Now let's go back to Earth. So now on Earth the man has gone to Mars for weeks and the family starts missing him. So what happen next is that the whole entire family take a trip to Mars and see the old man. If the old man miss his family he could visit his family back on Earth but there is a catch, he could only visit them 6 times a year and each stay could only last for a month. No visa is required heh. So once Mars is too congested with human beings another planet would be open up for next group of people. This would go on forever. It's a win - win situation. Nobody dies and everyone is happy.

I'm not sure if being single is a good choice and I'm not even sure if having a partner is a good choice too. Being single, I have the freedom to do anything I like, go out with whoever I want , I can walk naked around the house with no one to bug me to put on my clothes back but the problem of being single is that I wouldn't have anyone to share my love, no one to compete ,people would think you're crazy if you start laughing alone. Having a partner is great too cos you get to do things together and you have one another to depend on, but one problem of having a partner is that sometimes your partner has to agree with whatever you do, you have to understand their feelings all the time even though you don't and most of all you have to share. I don't like to share. I'm frigging selfish.

No man is an island. That phrase is very familiar to all of us. But perhaps that phrase does not apply to our modern life right now. Maybe back in the old days when there was no internet, television or radio, people do need one another when certain problem arises. Back then everything is so far away and resources were limited. Having a close knit community was really important especially in the village. Everyone in the village knows what their neigbour is up too. No matter who you are, people would always know your background and they will always help you whenever you need them. No one is secluded from the community. As modern day progresses, the phrase 'No Man Is An Island' simply diminishes. Everyone is so well equipped right now. We are simply like a human Swiss knife. We have all the equipment or gadgets to survive. We could be alone for days or weeks but we still could know what is happening around the globe. Back in the old days people have to rely on gossips to get hold of the latest news. Right now everyone is building up an invisible wall around them. Even people like me. I always have the notion that I'm an island with a very well equipped store and necessities. I have television to watch, internet access check out the latest happening around the world, a well equipped fridge with plenty of food and its not like I have to hunt for food or something. I could lock myself up in the room for days, as long I have an access to the internet. I don't care if my neighbor's house is burning to the ground as long my internet connection is not disrupted. Communication is getting far too easy right now. One could just click a button and the next moment they are on their way chatting with their friends. I miss the days where I would call up my friends on the phone and we would talk for hours till late at night. Right now chatting simply means going online and type loads of words. You could never see your friend or hear them unless you have a webcam. But of cos once a while I have to get back to the 'mainland' which simply means the outside world. The only reason I interact with the outside world is to get my groceries, pay my bills and interact with my peers for awhile after which I'm back to my island once again.

Sometimes I wish we were back in the old days where everything is not efficient but yet not too complicated to deal with.

No comments: