Mein Leben - My Life
24 more hours to go before I head my final journey home. I’m almost done with my packing, well not really packing but more like dump all my stuffs in the suitcase. Previously I assumed that it I would probably need 5 huge boxes to fill up my stuffs but I guess not. Apparently I only have 2 luggage and 1 hand carry.
I’ve planned to cook my final meal on the Friday morning before I fly off. Mee Bandung would be on the menu not too sure of Oreo cheesecake though.
At the moment I’ve mix feelings perhaps none to the other. I’m sad simply because I’ve made many new friends here and leaving them wasn’t a choice. The hardwork of more than 12 months, I simply have to leave it behind to another person. The shopping sale madness in Dubai which I simpy can’t get it in Singapore. The happy trigging middle finger flicking which I always do to impatient drivers. The unpredictable weather, I simply going to miss the sandstorms – and oh by the way winter has begun. One thing which I regret for not doing was that I didn’t snap many pictures of Dubai. Well I do have a lot but none of it shows the lifestyle of Dubai. Nothing spectacular I would say.
From all the list which I’m going to miss is my apartment and my housemates, Anita and Andy, they were like a replacement for my brother and sister. Went through ups and downs together. Somehow I’ve to be professional with all these. I simply won’t cry for sure cause I know that in the future I would encounter the same thing where separation of friends bound to be a norm. What I meant by separation of friends doesn’t mean that I broke up the friendship but more like going our separate ways especially if you’re working overseas. If there is an opportunity I’m sure you’ll bump into them again. Throughout my life I’ve been taught that nothing last long and letting go is part and parcel of life but the only thing which I won’t part are the memories which I had.
At the end of the day I’m still glad that I get to go home into my family’s comfort. Happy simply because I’ve gained another valuable experience which I won’t get if not for being posted to Dubai. One of the most valuable experiences which I’ve gained is not related to Architectural stuffs but mostly on social-relationship issues. I’ve learnt that being an adult one could still remain a child by choice. Even with that, an adult has to bear so many responsibilities. So far my responsibility as an adult is not as great as my seniors but sooner or later I would still bear the same responsibilities as them. Another priceless asset which I’ve gained is actually developing my verbal/oral skills. Well most of my friends knew that I’m a very vulgar, rowdy person who I am still today but right now I’m able to use it for the right moment. Ever since I was in Dubai, I’ve learnt to be a demanding-authoritarian freak. Perhaps it’s the nature of my job where any errors means further delays which means more paper work. Of course errors bound to happen once a while just what I always say ‘Shit happens, the problem is how to clean up the shit’. Leadership skill is something which I’m still lacking somehow. I’ve never been able to control my ‘team-members’. I’m a very Democratic person cause for me, as long they have finished their job on time with no errors, I’ll be satisfied. These people need a lot of coaxing and pushing sometimes even ‘bribery’ to make sure they meet the deadline. Furthermore I wasn’t a diplomatic person but somehow diplomacy works and I’m good at it now somehow. I’ve learn to ignore or accept whatever situation it might be. Contractors are not merciful most of the time so this is the time where diplomatic skills come to place. I either have to meet their demand or simply lie to them that whatever paper works which need to be done would be completed on time. Lying is a choice but it has consequences of cause so I used it sparingly. There are obviously more other valuable lessons which I’ve learnt so far but most of it are impractical in a working life. For example expensive food doesn’t mean it’s delicious it could be crappy food which taste like cat food. Cloudy days doesn’t meant it’s going to rain but more like sandstorm is brewing somewhere and its going to hit you soon, so you better run and hide. Traffic jams are not cause by accidents but more like idiots who doesn’t know how drive and make good use of the traffic lights.
One thing which I won’t forget or be rationale to whatever comments it might be is the culture. Dubai has no pure form of race culture even if it has one it probably would’ve been dissipitated somewhere along the years , most of it are imported mainly from India or some other Arab regions mainly Lebanon. Sad to say I was kind of a bit racist when I was in Dubai particularly to the Indians. I’m fine with Singaporean Indians or South Indians but not North Indians from India or London. They are bit snobbish thinking they are pure high breeds @#!!*&!!! But of cause not all of them only the majorities are like that. Like the usual, honking cars, driving recklessly, never queue up at the counters, talking loudly. I still remember when I asked this particular North Indian guy if he is an Indian cause he looked like an Arab but eventually he told me ‘I’m a British Indian from London but my father is from India’.. Of cause you wouldn’t find fault with the sentence, its just the way how he replied it with arrogance. Should have seen the face but anyway Indians and Pakistanis should be banned from driving in Dubai. Every new Indian/Pakistani drivers taking driving lesson means more road hazards. See told you I’m racist no wonder I’m dying of cancer but anyway it doesn’t matter cause sooner or later we all going to die. Besides life is short, do whatever you can and if any bastards or bitch approached to provoke you, ignore it. But if it’s me, I would provoke them back because I know I can do twice better but beware of people who have nothing to lose.
So in conclusion my time spending my life here in Dubai was a well spent adventure. I would give Dubai a rating of 4.5 out of 10. I would probably give more if not for the stupid pay I’ve got, the traffic jams and the long distance of all the places of interest. I would probably come back in 10 years time but not less than that cause still too many constructions going on.
Supposed to end my entry here… but a few moments ago I had a farewell party in the office. I was expecting it coming but I thought they wouldn’t have one anyway because they never had any for my other colleagues who had left earlier besides I’m not someone who is important. Sometimes I wonder why I received such treatment, it’s not that I don’t appreciate it but I always thought that I’m not worthy enough to receive such gifts or party. Infact I always stress my friends and myself that I want to avoid such an event. I don’t think I’ve ever treat people nicely cause I can say that I’m rude at times infact vulgar and rowdy or perhaps I’m nice and I don’t realise it? I don’t know… but I guess I should be glad that I had such a good treatment. I got flowers watch, Sony MP3 player, doll, chocolates and etc; Very expensive gifts, shouldn’t have bought it.. Should have bought me Planes and I mean A REAL PLANE…


No comments:
Post a Comment