Thursday, May 31, 2007

Picnic with family...

Today I had an ‘unfortunate’ event to attend. As both of my parents are active with the neighbourhood mosque, they were invited to attend a picnic at East Coast organised by the mosque committee during the Vesak Day holiday. As my father was one of the committee it was thus ‘compulsory’ to attend this event.

Now, I hate to go to an event which I barely knew almost half of the guests. I don’t like to reintroduce myself over and over again to different people. I beg my sister to follow us along but she don’t want go cause she just arrived back from Madrid/Barcelona yesterday. My father sense that I wasn’t gonna be enjoying myself so decided to invite my paternal relatives. I’m not really close to my paternal relatives compared to my maternal relatives and don’t ask me why. Anyway I called Fadhil if his family is going and he said he has to cause his father is in the committee. So I thought since Fadhil is gonna be there perhaps I should go too at least I know someone else besides my own family.

As I’ve said before when Malay families goes for a picnic, they would bring the entire kitchen to the beach and that includes my family. My mum cooked so many things that we can’t fit in the car boot. She woke up at 4am just to cook Nasi Lemak, Roti John, Fried Noodles blah blah blah and what’s not. My aunties did other dishes. I think the food that we brought is sufficient to feed one platoon of army.


My mother in black tudung with Fadhil's mother tudungless preparing loads of tupperware which contains loads of food... Typical Malay family picnic


We arrived at the beach around 8.30, had some complimentary breakfast. There were roughly about 60 families so you can say that the event was well received. There were plenty of games which was kinda funny and ridiculous to play but Fadhil and I joined in it anyhow. We got prizes too. I didn’t wanna swim in the sea cause it’s troublesome to change and what’s not so I played cards with Fadhil’s cousin and mine.


One of the games which Fathers ands sons has to play. Basically the son would place a ball inside the box which has a hole in the centre that is attached to the back. Then the father has to wriggle his but to make the ball drop into the pail. Then father has to cluck. It's funny lame shit I tell you.

Things went fine till about 2pm when strong gust of wind starts coming at us. It went about for almost 30mins. It blew off some tents away and we have to pack off and went to the shelter. Some families decided to go home but most of us remained. Things went back to normal and we continue with our picnic.

See this makcik here? She is my aunty holding on to the parasol cause of the wind. My mother sitting next to her still happily eating away.



Some tents got blown off... Whoossh


Even this coconut tree is not spared from the wind

I still have chalet to attend on Saturday to celebrate my maternal; grandma’s birthday. My cousins and I haven’t thought of anything to buy. We could probably get her a new husband from the nearby old folks home or something. She hasn’t got laid for quite sometime, it would be refreshing for her I guess. Bleah… Oh well we see how it goes. Anyway I’m so tanned.. I like. Hahaha…

I realized this is the most boring entry of a picnic ever…. BooHooHoo….

No comments: